2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tbs. baking powder
1 tbs. granulated sugar
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1/4 tsp. baking soda
3/4 cup whole milk
1 1/4 cup baked, mashed sweet potato (2 medium size potatoes)
1 stick frozen unsalted butter
4 tbsp. heavy cream
1/2 cup goat cheese
1/2 cup walnuts (chopped)
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 tsp. fresh thyme
1/2 tsp.sea salt
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
1. Combine all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl and set aside.
2. In another large bowl, mix together milk and mashed sweet potato. Stir until creamy.
3. Grate frozen butter through the large holes of a grater and add to dry ingredients. Mix well.
4. Combine dry ingredients into sweet potato mixture.
5. Pour mixture onto a floured surface and knead until it comes together.
6. Roll into a circle and use a floured rolling pin to roll dough to a thickness of about 3/4 inch.
7. Use a 3-inch cookie cutter to cut the dough into round shapes. Keep rolling dough until finished making round shapes. * You can also use a glass, to cut the dough.
8. Place biscuits on a baking sheet. Brush tops with heavy cream.
9. Bake until the bottoms are golden brown, about 12 to 15 minutes. (Use a toothpick to test the center.)
10. Let biscuits cool. When cool, slice open.
11. In a bowl, mix all topping ingredients. (goat cheese, olive oil, walnuts, sea salt and thyme) Mix well and spread on biscuits.
12. Put biscuits on a cookie sheet. Return biscuits to a 350 degree oven for 5 minutes or until goat cheese is bubbly. Serve hot.