- Bake sweet potatoes in a 400 degree oven for about one hour. (You want potatoes soft.)
- Top potatoes with salsa, sour cream and avocado.
2 1/4 cups dried split peas (rinsed)
8 cups water
1 large onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
2 medium celery stalks, finely chopped
1/4 tsp. black pepper and spindled sea salt (to your taste)
1 ham bone *optional
3 medium carrots, cut into 1/4-inch slices
1 Heat peas and water to boiling in 4-quart pot. Boil uncovered 2 minutes; remove from heat. Cover and let stand 1 hour.
2 Stir in onion, celery, sea salt and black pepper. Add ham bone. Heat to a boil and then reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 1 hour 30 minutes or until peas are tender.
3 Remove ham bone; remove ham from bone. Trim excess fat from ham; cut ham into 1/2-inch pieces. (*ham bone is optional)
4 Stir ham and carrots into soup. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 30 minutes or until carrots are tender and soup is desired consistency.
*Put a dollop of sour cream on top.
*You can make split pea soup without the ham bone.
Set it up and let everyone help themselves.
6 tortilla shells
6 chicken cutlets (grilled and cut into bite size pieces)
1/2 lb. shrimp (tails removed and boiled)
2 cups salsa
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
2 cups sour cream
1 head of iceberg lettuce (shredded)
2 cups cherry tomatoes
1. Fill each shell with lettuce and top with fillings of your choice.
Optional/Suggestions: red onions, guacamole, chick peas, black beans, sliced beef
1 lb. chopped beef (made into 4 burgers)
4 slices sharp cheddar cheese
1/2 cup salsa
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup guacamole
1. Cook burgers to your desired taste.
2. When burger is almost done, place a slice of cheddar cheese on top.
3. In a bowl, mix sour cream, salsa, and guacamole. Mix it all together.
4. When burger is done, put a dollop of salsa mixture on top.
*Serving with fries is optional.
Ingredients For Potato Pancakes:
4 large potatoes
1 yellow onion
1 egg (beaten)
1 tsp. sea salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
3 tbs. all-purpose flour
2 cups vegetable oil for frying
1. Finely grate potatoes and onion into a large bowl. Drain excess water in a strainer.
2. Add in egg, sea salt, and black pepper. Add flour to make mixture thick. Add another tbs. of flour, if needed.
3. Heat 1/4 inch of oil in a heavy skillet over medium high heat. Drop two or three 1/4 cup mounds into hot oil, and flatten to make 1/2 inch thick pancakes.
4. Fry, turning once, until golden brown. When done (about 4-5 minutes) let absorb on paper towels.
1 lb. fresh Nova Scotia Lox (sliced thin)
1 cup of sour cream
4 plum tomatoes (chopped)
1 small red onion (chopped)
1/4 cup capers
3 tbs. olive oil
2 tbs. balsamic vinegar
1. In small bowl, mix tomatoes, red onion, capers, olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
2. Place potato pancake on a plate. Top with a slice or two of lox.
3. Put a dollop of sour cream on top.
4. Put about 2 tablespoons of tomato mixture on top.