2 cups brown rice
4 cups vegetable stock
1/2 lb. small shrimp (thawed)
3 carrots (sliced into thin circles) *see photo
2 cups fresh arugula (rinsed and drained)
2 shallots chopped
2 cloves of garlic chopped
4 tbs. olive oil (*extra tbsp. if needed)
sea salt and black pepper
- Boil thawed shrimp for 5 minutes and drain. Set to the side.
- In a pot, put rice and vegetable stock. Bring to a boil. When it begins to boil, put on a medium heat. In approximately 8-10 minutes, rice should absorb vegetable stock. Keep an eye on it. Once most of the liquid has been absorbed, remove from heat.
- In a large skillet, put olive oil. Add shallots, garlic and carrots. Sprinkle with sea salt and black pepper. Stir frequently. When carrots are soft, add shrimp and arugula.
- Mix together. Arugula should cook quickly. (*Another tbsp. olive oil if needed.) Sprinkle a little more sea salt and black pepper.
- Get a large bowl. Place brown rice in bowl. Pour shrimp mixture on top of rice and mix together. *A little lemon squeezed on top is optional.
Have You “Liked” “Cooking With Mr. C.” on Facebook?
2 (10 oz.) cans white cannellini beans (rinsed and drained)
2 scallions (chopped) *or onion of your choice (1/4 cup)
2 garlic cloves (finely chopped)
2 large carrots (diced)
1 cup of spinach (washed and chopped) *optional
5 cups of vegetable stock
sea salt and black pepper to taste
1 small lemon (juice squeezed)
3 tbs. of olive oil
1. In a deep pot, put olive oil, scallions, carrots and garlic. Let cook for 2 minutes and add beans. Stir beans gently. Add a pinch of salt and pepper. Add vegetable stock. Let cook on a medium heat for about 15 minutes.
2. After 15 minutes, add lemon juice and spinach. Stir gently. Reduce to a low heat for 5 minutes and serve. Sprinkle with your favorite grated cheese. (optional)
1 1/2 lbs. lamb stew meat (cut in cubes)
6 tbs. all purpose flour
1 tsp. sea salt
1 tsp. black pepper
3 cups water
2 tbs. canola oil
4 medium carrots (cut into 1 inch pieces)
3 large potatoes (peeled and cubed)
1 cup fresh peas or frozen (defrosted)
1/2 cup half and half cream
1. In a large Ziploc bag, combine 4 tablespoons flour, sea salt and black pepper. Add lamb. Shake and coat well.
2. In a deep pot, put canola oil. Brown lamb on all sides.
3. Add water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 1 hour or until meat is almost tender.
4. Add the carrots, peas and potatoes. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until the meat and vegetables are tender.
5. In a small bowl, place remaining flour; stir in half and half until smooth. Add to the stew.
6. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
3 cups brown rice
3 cups vegetable stock
3 cups water
3 cups carrots (sliced very thin)
2 cups mushrooms (sliced)
1 cup leeks (sliced thin)
1. Put brown rice, vegetable stock and water in a big pot. Bring to a boil. Lower to a medium heat. Let liquids absorb. (about 10-12 minutes.)
2. Meanwhile in a large skillet, put 2 tbsp. of olive oil. Add leeks and cook for 2 minutes. Add carrots and mushrooms. (maybe a drop more olive oil if needed) Stir. Add about a tsp. of sea salt. When vegetables are tender, add cooked rice to the pan. Mix well together. Sprinkle with a little more sea salt.
1 1/2 lbs of fresh carrots rinsed and cleaned well, patted dry (leave an inch of the green stem on)
1 large red onion (cut into small wedges)
3 tbsp. olive oil
1 tbsp. fresh chopped rosemary
2 cloves garlic (peeled and crushed)
Sea salt and black pepper
1 Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Line a roasting pan with aluminum foil. Place the carrots, red onion wedges, and crushed garlic cloves on the pan and sprinkle with chopped rosemary.
2. Drizzle with olive oil and toss to combine so that the carrots and onions are lightly coated. Sprinkle with sea salt and pepper.
3. Roast at for 30 to 40 minutes until well browned and caramelized around the edges. Remove from pan and place in a serving dish to serve.
*Optional: Squeeze fresh lemon on top, five minutes before removing from oven.
1 lb. brussel sprouts (cut in half)
1 lb. carrots (sliced)
1 lb. asparagus (ends trimmed)
3 tbs. olive oil
2 tsp. sea salt
1 tsp. black pepper
1 cup vegetable stock
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
1. In a large baking pan, put all vegetables. Add olive oil and toss vegetables. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
2. Add vegetable stock.
3. Place pan in oven and bake for about 40 minutes. Stir vegetables every 10 minutes.
4. Remove when vegetables are tender.