1 lb. fresh arugula (rinsed and drained)
1 cup shredded carrots
1 cup sliced mushrooms
2 avocados cut into pieces
1 tsp. sea salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1 tbsp. chopped garlic (3 medium garlic cloves)
2/3 cup plain fat-free Greek yogurt
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (from 2 lemons)
1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1. Add all vegetables to one bowl.
2. In another bowl, mix dressing ingredients. (You may want to make the dressing an hour before serving)
A wonderful evening on Broadway with a backstage invite from Marilu Henner. Check her out in “Gettin’ The Band Back Together” at the Belasco Theatre.
Have You “Liked” “Cooking With Mr. C.” on Facebook?
1 whole chicken (cut up into pieces)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup paprika
1 tbsp. ground black pepper
1 tbsp. sea salt
1 tsp. chili powder
1 tbsp. garlic powder
1 tbsp. onion powder
1 tsp. cayenne pepper (optional)
1. Mix all spices in an a large Ziploc bag.
2. Add chicken pieces to Ziploc bag. Shake well.
3. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours. (Overnight is even better.)
1.) Barbecue on a grill. Turning frequently. About 20 minute cooking time. (Make sure chicken is well cooked.) Or
2.) Preheat oven to 35o degrees and bake for 45 minutes.
*Note: Certain chicken pieces will cook faster than others. Make sure all chicken is cooked well.
8 chicken cutlets
1/2 lb French fries (potatoes)
fresh mozzarella (8 slices)
sea salt and black pepper
2 egg whites beaten
2 cups bread crumbs
1. Dip chicken cutlets in egg whites. Then coat cutlets with bread crumbs.
2. In a large skillet, put 1/4 cup of olive oil. Fry cutlets on each side for about 3 minutes each. Turn so they don’t burn. Remove and put to the side.
3. For the French fries, you can buy frozen and bake them. If not, get 4 large potatoes and slice into shape of fries. Sprinkle with sea salt and coat with olive oil. Put on a baking pan and bake in a 400 degree oven, and bake for about 25 minutes. (until crisp and tender) *Note: It’s faster to bake the frozen ones.
4. In a large baking pan, coat the bottom with tomato sauce. Put cutlets in pan. Put some sauce on each cutlet. Sprinkle with a pinch of sea salt and black pepper.
5. Layer five or six fries on each cutlet and top with a slice of mozzarella cheese. (see photo)
6. In a preheated 400 degree oven, put cutlets in oven for about 5-7 minutes to heat through. You also want the mozzarella well melted.
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 cup softened butter
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
4 tbsp. buttermilk
colored sugar, for decorating
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
1. In a small bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, and baking powder.
2. In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in the egg and vanilla.
3. Blend in dry ingredients. Add enough of the buttermilk to moisten the dough and make it soft, not wet.
4. Drop rounded teaspoons of dough into balls and place on a ungreased cookie sheet.
5. With a brush moisten the top of each cookie with buttermilk and slightly flatten the top of each cookie.
6. Sprinkle with pink sugar on top.
Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until slightly golden. Let cool a few minutes before removing from pans.
3 green tomatoes (sliced)
1 cup panko bread crumbs
1 cup grated cheese
3 egg whites (beaten)
1. Mix bread crumbs and grated cheese in a bowl. Put egg whites in a bowl.
2. Dip tomatoes in egg whites. Next, dip in bread crumbs mixture.
3. In a large skillet, put 4 tbs. of olive oil. Cook tomatoes on both sides until tender and crisp. Add more olive oil if needed while cooking. Dry on paper towels.
4. Sprinkle with a little sea salt.
*You can serve with a little marinara sauce if you like.
1 large can (12 oz.) of tuna in olive oil. (chop up tuna)
2 tbsp. capers
3 tbsp. sweet pickle relish (* I buy a brand where the relish is a little more crunchy, than soft.)
3 large slices of sweet jarred peppers (minced)
1/4 cup of chopped kalamata olives (chopped)
2 hard boiled eggs (chopped)
2 tbsp. mayonnaise
1 tbsp. Dijon Mustard
a pinch of sea salt and black pepper
4 large avocados, cut in halves for stuffing
- In a very large bowl, mix all ingredients, except the avocados.
- Stuff each avocado halve.
*If you don’t want to stuff avocados, serve with crusty bread or a sesame cracker.