*This Pizza Rustica Is Traditionally Eaten The Night Before Easter Sunday.
2 tbsp. olive oil
8 ounces sweet Italian sausage (casings removed)
1 (15-ounce) container whole milk ricotta
12 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
4 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto, coarsely chopped
1/3 lb. ham (chopped)
4 large egg yolks (beaten)
1 large egg (beaten)
2 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
Pastry Dough Recipe:
3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) cold unsalted butter (cut into pieces)
1/4 cup cold solid vegetable shortening (cut into pieces)
1 tsp. sea salt
3 large eggs (beaten)
2 to 4 tbsp. ice water
Blend the flour, the butter, the shortening and salt in a food processor until the mixture is coarse. Blend in the eggs. With the machine running, add the water 1 tablespoon at a time until the dough forms. Roll the dough into a ball. Divide the dough into 2 pieces, with 1 piece twice as large as the second piece. Flatten the dough pieces into disks. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until the dough is firm enough to roll out, about 30 minutes.
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the sausages and saute until golden brown, breaking the sausage into pieces, about 5 minutes. Transfer the mixture to a small bowl and set aside to cool.
3. In large bowl, add egg yolks and beat lightly. Stir in the ricotta, mozzarella, and Parmesan cheese. Add the sausage, fresh parsley, ham and prosciutto to the mixture and stir well.
4. Roll out larger piece of dough on a lightly floured work surface to a 18-inch round. Transfer the dough to a 9-inch springform pan. Trim the dough overhang to 1 inch.
5. Add the ricotta mixture into the dough-lined pan.
6. Roll out the remaining piece of dough into a 12-inch round.
7. Place the dough over the filling. Pinch the edges of the doughs together to seal, then crimp the dough edges.
8. You can cut the extra overhanging dough into strips and put on top of pie. (see photo)
9. Brush the beaten 1 large egg over the entire pastry top. Bake on the bottom shelf of the oven until the crust is golden brown. (about 1 hour)
Let cool for about 15-20 minutes before cutting.