Ingredients For Dough:
2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup of Crisco
1 tsp. salt
1/2 cup ice water
2 oz. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
Ingredients For Filling:
1/2 lb. milk chocolate chips
1/2 lb. pine nuts (pignoli nuts)
1/2 lb. walnuts (chopped)
1 box raisins (15 oz.)
1 tbsp. grated orange peel
1. Soak raisins in cold water overnight. Drain very well.
2. In a large bowl, add chocolate chips, pine nuts, walnuts, raisins and orange peel. Stir and mix well. Refrigerate.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
3. To make dough, combine all ingredients and mix well to form dough. Roll out dough to make small circles. (We use the cover of a sugar bowl. You can also use a small dish, depending on the size turnover you wish to make.)
4. Remove raisin mixture from refrigerator and spoon mixture on each circle. The amount will depend on the size circles you have created. It should be enough, but not to much where the turnover will break open when you fold it over. Fold the turnover and seal edges with a fork. Place on a greased (about a tbs. of butter) baking sheet.
5. Take one egg and beat it. Add 1 tbs. of water. Beat again. This is your “eggwash”. Brush a little on each turnover. This helps the turnover turn golden brown.
6. Bake in oven for 15-18 minutes. Watch so they don’t burn. Remove and let cool.
Makes about 2 dozen. (depends on the size of your turnover)
Note: If you have extra raisin mixture, refrigerate and make another batch of dough.