2 large eggplants (peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick)
2 eggs (beaten)
2 cups of bread crumbs
1 cup fresh spinach (chopped)
1 cup shredded fresh mozzarella plus 1/4 cup extra for sprinkling on top
2 cups fresh ricotta
1 cup fontina cheese (shredded) plus 1/4 cup extra for sprinkling on top
homemade tomato sauce
1. Dip eggplant slices in egg and then bread crumbs.
2. In a large skillet put 4 tbs. of olive oil. Fry eggplant slices on both sides until tender. (about 3-4 minutes) Add more oil while cooking. Let eggplant slices dry on paper towel.
3. In a large bowl, mix ricotta, fontina, mozzarella and spinach. Add 2 tsp. of sea salt. Mix well.
4. In a baking dish put tomato sauce on the bottom.
5. Put a slice of eggplant. Put a spoonful of ricotta mixture on top. Add another eggplant slice on top. Put a little sauce on top. Put a little shredded cheese on top if you like. Repeat process to eggplant is all used. *You can stack the eggplant higher if you wish. You can also sprinkle a little parmesan cheese.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
6. Bake in oven for 10 minutes.