1/2 cup sweet butter (softened)
2/3 cup sugar
2 large eggs, separate yolks and whites
1 1/3 cups flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
2 tbsp. poppy seeds
2 lemons (zest) grated
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 tbsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. vanilla
Preheat oven to 350°F
1. Coat muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray or a little butter.
2. In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar. Add egg yolks, one at a time. Beat well.
3. In a separate bowl, stir dry ingredients, poppy seeds, and lemon zest.
4. With a mixer, add the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture, alternating between the buttermilk, lemon juice, and then vanilla. Beat until smooth.
5. In another bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Fold them into the muffin batter until blended.
6. Spoon the batter into the prepared pan. ( about 3/4-full)
7. Bake at 350°F for 20-25 minutes. Insert a toothpick to see if it comes out clean.
* Cool before removing from muffin tins.