2 cups flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup shortening (butter)
2 egg yolks, slightly beaten
1 tbsp. cold water
3 cups ricotta cheese
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup flour
2 tbsp. grated orange peel
2 tbsp. grated lemon peel
2 tbsp. citron (chopped fine)
1 tbsp. vanilla
2. Shape pastry into a ball and flatten slightly on floured board. Roll into a round about 1/8 inch thick about 1 inch larger than the size of a 9 inch round deep cake pan.
3. Place dough gently in pan. Trim dough allowing about a 1/2 inch border. Pinch dough between fingers to make it stand 1/4 inch high around edge of cake pan. Set aside.
4. Beat the eggs well.
5. Add sugar and beat until thick. Stir beaten egg mixture into ricotta mixture until blended and smooth.
6. Add lemon peel, orange peel and citron. Mix well.
7. Pour into pan.
8. Bake at 350 degrees about for 50-60 minutes. Mixture should be firm and pastry golden brown.
9. Remove from oven and place on cooling rack.
Optional: Sprinkle with confectioners sugar on top.