Ingredients For Potato Pancakes:
4 large potatoes
1 yellow onion
1 egg (beaten)
1 tsp. sea salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
3 tbs. all-purpose flour
2 cups vegetable oil for frying
1. Finely grate potatoes and onion into a large bowl. Drain excess water in a strainer.
2. Add in egg, sea salt, and black pepper. Add flour to make mixture thick. Add another tbs. of flour, if needed.
3. Heat 1/4 inch of oil in a heavy skillet over medium high heat. Drop two or three 1/4 cup mounds into hot oil, and flatten to make 1/2 inch thick pancakes.
4. Fry, turning once, until golden brown. When done (about 4-5 minutes) let absorb on paper towels.
1 lb. fresh Nova Scotia Lox (sliced thin)
1 cup of sour cream
4 plum tomatoes (chopped)
1 small red onion (chopped)
1/4 cup capers
3 tbs. olive oil
2 tbs. balsamic vinegar
1. In small bowl, mix tomatoes, red onion, capers, olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
2. Place potato pancake on a plate. Top with a slice or two of lox.
3. Put a dollop of sour cream on top.
4. Put about 2 tablespoons of tomato mixture on top.