2 tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
1 large onion (diced)
4 cloves garlic, (minced)
1 (10 oz. can) peas (drained well)
2 stalks celery (diced)
2 large carrots (diced)
1 tsp. dried basil
1 tsp. dried oregano
sea salt and black pepper
1 (28-ounce can) diced tomatoes
1 (14-ounce can) crushed tomatoes
6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 (12-ounce can) red kidney beans (rinsed and drained)
1 cup pasta of your choice ( a small pasta is best) *elbow pasta is a good choice
grated parmesan cheese
1. In a large pot, heat oil. Add the onion and cook until translucent.
2. Add the garlic and cook 30 seconds. Add the celery and carrots and cook until they begin to soften. (about 3-4 minutes)
3. Add in the dried oregano, dried basil, 1 teaspoon sea salt, and pepper to taste. Stir and cook for 2 minutes.
4. Add the diced and crushed tomatoes and the chicken broth. Bring to a boil.
5. Reduce the heat to medium low and simmer 10 minutes.
6. Raise heat a little. Add in the kidney beans, peas and pasta and cook until the pasta and vegetables are tender. (About 10 minutes) *Taste to see if pasta is cooked.
7. Season with salt.
*Top individual soup bowls with parmesan cheese.