1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar, plus 1/2 tsp.
4 egg yolks
2 cups of flour
1 1/2 cups golden raisins
1 package dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. salt
1 cup milk
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 cup sugar
1/4 lb. butter ( 1 stick)
2 tbs. milk
1/2 cup flour
1. In a bowl cream the butter and 1/2 cup sugar.
2. In a separate bowl, beat the egg yolks. Add vanilla and salt.
3. In a small bowl, mix the yeast in warm water with 1/2 teaspoon of sugar. When it thickens, add it to the egg yolks.
4. Add the milk with the egg yolks and the creamed butter and sugar.
5. Begin adding the flour until a soft dough is formed.
6. Stir in the raisins. Knead the dough until it is no longer sticky.
7. Cover the dough and allow it to rise in a warm place until it doubles in size. (about 2 hours)
8. Shape the dough into a loaf. Cover again and let the dough rise again. (about another hour or two)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
9. For the topping, cream the sugar, cinnamon and butter. Mix in the egg, milk, and the flour. Mix well.
10. Coat the dough with this topping.
11. Place on a greased ( a little butter) baking pan.
12. Bake in oven for about 30 minutes.
*Babka should be browned. Use a cake tester to make sure it isn’t wet on the inside. Let cool before slicing.