2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
1/4 tsp. freshly ground pepper
3/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground allspice
1/4 tsp. freshly ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
3/4 cup firmly packed light-brown sugar
1 large egg
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 cup unsulfured molasses
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
1. Put parchment paper on a baking sheet.
2. In a bowl, combine flour, pepper, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, cloves, and baking soda.
3. In another bowl put butter, brown sugar, and molasses. Use an electric mixer. Beat on medium speed until for about 3 minutes. Beat in egg and vanilla.
4. With mixer on a low speed, add flour mixture. Mix well until combined.
5. Take a tablespoon amount of dough and roll into large acorn size balls.
6. Place balls 1 1/2 inches apart on baking sheet.
7. Bake until cookies are golden brown. (about 15 minutes)
8. Let cookies cool for about 15 minutes.
9. In a large deep bowl, put confectioners’ sugar. Place a few cookies at a time in bowl. Gently toss them (with clean hands) in the confectioners’ sugar.
10. Tap off the excess sugar and place on wax paper.
11. Once cooled, put in a sealed container.