5 cups of fresh peaches (peeled and sliced)
1 pint of fresh blueberries (rinsed and drained) all stems removed
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 1/2 tsp. cornstarch
Pie Crust Ingredients:
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 sticks of very cold unsalted butter (cut into 1/4 inch pieces)
1 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt
7 tbs. ice water
Egg Wash and Sugar Ingredients:
1 large egg white (beaten)
1 tsp. water
1-2 tbs. coarse sugar (for sprinkling)
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
1. In a food processor, mix all dry pie crust ingredients and then add cold butter. Pulse 6 to 8 times. Flour should be course. Slowly add a tbs. of iced water at a time. Pulse slowly. Dough should become more firm. Pinch dough and it should be firm. Add a drop more water if it’s not firm.
2. Roll dough on a floured surface. Roll into a ball and cut in half.
3. In a large bowl, put peaches, blueberries, sugar, cornstarch and vanilla extract. Mix together.
4. Take half of the dough and roll out. Place dough in 9 inch pie pan.
5. Take fruit filling and put in pan.
6. Take second half of dough and roll out. Cut dough into 1 inch strips.
7. Crisscross strips of dough on top of pie. (See photo) Crimp dough around entire pie.
8. In a little bowl, mix egg white and water.
9. Brush egg wash on top of pie thoroughly. Sprinkle coarse sugar on top of dough strips.
10. Place pie pan on a cookie sheet. (You don’t want juice of pie dripping in stove.)
11. Bake in oven for about 30 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake for another 20 minutes. Pie crust should be golden brown and fruit should be bubbly when done.