I’ve made these cookies, using gluten free flour too. There are also many gluten free icings that are very good. I recommend almond milk for those avoiding dairy and soy. This recipe is very easy to make for those following a gluten free diet.
2 1/2 cups of flour
1 1/4 cup unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups white sugar
3 extra large eggs (beaten)
1 cup of whole milk
1/2 tsp. of lemon extract
1/4 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. baking powder
4 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
2 ounces of grated bittersweet chocolate
1/3 cup boiling water
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
1. In a bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add in beaten eggs. Stir in vanilla extract, lemon extract and milk.
2. In a separate bowl, mix flour and baking powder. Add flour mixture to butter mixture. Stir together.
3. On a greased cookie sheet (use a dab of butter), drop 2 tablespoons of dough. (one if of you want smaller cookies) Bake for about 20-25 minutes. Edges should be slightly brown. Remove from oven and let cookies completely cool.
4. Put confectioners’ sugar into a bowl. Slowly stir in (a tablespoon or two at a time) of boiling water. Keep stirring until it becomes thick.
5. Take half of the icing and put it in a double boiler. Double boiler should be on top of boiling water. Stir in chocolate until it is melted. Remove from heat.
6. With a baking brush, coat half the cookie with chocolate icing and half with vanilla icing. Set aside so icing dries.