2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup butter
1 1/4 cup sugar
1 cup buttermilk
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 fluid ounce red food coloring
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
1. Grease two 12 cup muffin pans with paper baking cups.
2. In a bowl, cream butter and sugar with a mixer. Add in the eggs, food coloring, buttermilk and vanilla. Mix well. Stir in baking soda.
3. Add flour and cocoa powder. Stir well into the batter. Spoon batter into baking cups.
4. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes. Do the “toothpick test” to make sure cake is dry in the middle. Set aside and cool.
1/2 cup melted butter
1 (8 oz.) cream cheese
1 tsp. vanilla
1 lb. box of confectioners sugar
1 cup red M&M’s
1. Combine butter, cream cheese and vanilla. Slowly add confectioners sugar. Mix until smooth.
2. Put icing on each cupcake. Arrange M & M’s in a design.
Keep cupcakes refrigerated. Take out of refrigerator 30 minutes before serving.