If you have a good eye and don’t blink, you’ll see me on “The Americans” this Wednesday night at 10:00 pm on FX.
The stars of “The Americans”, Mathew Rhys and Keri Russell.
4 lbs. corned beef brisket
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
1 (12 fluid ounce) can or bottle Irish stout beer (e.g. Guinness)
Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
1. Rinse the beef in cold water and pat dry.
2. Place the brisket in a roasting pan. (with a cover)
3. Rub the brown sugar on the corned beef. Coat the entire beef.
4. Pour the bottle of beer around, and gently over the beef.
5. Cover and place in oven. Bake for about 2 1/2 hours. (Check 90 minutes in. If the beer is almost all absorbed, add another 6 ounces.)
Allow to cool down for about 5 minutes before slicing.
Serve with potatoes, cabbage and mustard.
1 1/2 lbs. medium shrimp (cleaned and tail removed)
2 lbs. fresh arugula (rinsed and drained)
1 (10 oz.) can lentils (rinsed and drained)
2 cloves of garlic (chopped)
sea salt and black pepper
1 lemon (juiced)
1/2 cup dry white wine
1. In a large skillet, add garlic and 2 tbs. of olive oil. Sauté shrimp for five minutes and set to the side.
2. In the same skillet, add arugula and lentils. Add about 1 tbs. of olive oil. Cook on a medium heat for about 4 minutes. (stir occasionally)
3. Add shrimp back to the skillet. Sprinkle a pinch of sea salt and black pepper. Add lemon juice and white wine. Stir. Raise heat to high for 3 minutes and then serve.
*Optional: You can add a cup of chopped walnuts in step 2, if you like.
4 skinless boneless chicken breasts (1/4 in. thick)
8 slices munster cheese
1/2 cup sundried tomatoes (in olive oil)
1 cup fresh arugula (rinsed and drained well)
4 hero breads
sea salt and black pepper
1. On a grill with a little olive oil, grill chicken breasts. Sprinkle sea salt and black pepper. Cook on both sides. Cook for about 8 minutes. (depends on the thickness of chicken) *Chicken should be well cooked.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. When chicken is cooked, place chicken on a baking pan. Place 2 slices of munster cheese on each chicken breast. Put in oven for about 5 minutes, until cheese is melted.
3. Slice hero bread. (see photo)
4. Drizzle a little olive oil on bread. Put some arugula on bread. Place chicken breast on bread and top with sundried tomatoes. (See photo.)
1/2 lb. romaine lettuce (rinsed, dried and chopped)
16 large sea scallops
1 can (10 oz.) black beans (rinsed and drained)
2 plums tomatoes (chopped)
4 stuffed sweet cherry peppers
1. In a skillet, put 3 tbs. of olive oil. Cook scallops on both sides for 4 minutes each. Sprinkle with sea salt. Set to the side.
2. On a platter, place romaine lettuce. Put black beans and tomatoes on top.
3. Put scallops and stuffed cherry tomatoes on top.
*Optional: Drizzle with an Italian or Vinaigrette dressing.