4 cups chicken stock
1 tbs. olive oil
1 onion, finely (chopped)
2 garlic cloves (crushed)
1 1/2 cups arborio rice
1/2 cup shredded parmesan
2 cups dried breadcrumbs
1 cup plain flour
1 cup fresh mozzarella (chopped into tiny pieces)
Vegetable oil (for frying)
1. Place the stock in a medium saucepan over high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low.
2. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until soft. (about 5 minutes)
3. Add rice to the onion mixture with a ladle of soup. Stir frequently with a wooden spoon until the liquid is completely absorbed.
4. Continue to add stock, 1 ladle at a time, stirring constantly and allowing the liquid to be absorbed before adding the next ladle. (About 20 minutes or until the rice is tender yet firm)
5. Once all stock is absorbed, stir in the parmesan and mozzarella. Set aside for 2-3 hours to cool completely.
6. Add 2 eggs and stir until well combined.
7. Place the breadcrumbs on a large plate and flour in a bowl. Crack remaining eggs in a separate bowl and lightly whisk.
8. Using wet hands, shape 2 tablespoons of the rice mixture into a ball. (makes about 2 dozen)
9. Roll the rice balls in the flour and shake off any excess. Dip in the egg, then in the breadcrumbs, pressing to coat.
10. Place on a large pan and chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
11. Add enough oil in a large saucepan. Heat over medium-high heat . When hot, add 6 rice balls to the oil and cook, turning occasionally, for 4-5 minutes or until golden.
12. Use a slotted spoon to transfer to a plate lined with paper towels. Repeat with the remaining rice balls. Add more oil while you go along.
Serve with marinara sauce for dipping.